Sunday, January 14, 2007

So I was just reading this article on the mainstreaming of cruelty-free values.

I really like that vegan- and vegetarian- friendly products are becoming more available beyond just food level, but one thing struck me. From an environmental standpoint, is trading in natural materials for lots of plastics really the way to go? Although I am not vegetarian (and subsequently not vegan), I have over time started to slowly move towards eating/wearing/buying things that have less of an impact. But swapping your leather ipod case for a plastic one, while good for the cow, isn't necessarily better for the landfill it will eventually end up in. And recycled yarn is wonderful, but shearing a sheep isn't cruelty.

Sometimes I think people miss the forest for the trees.

No comments: