Thursday, November 18, 2010

We knew it had to end sometime.

So it finally happened. I finally caved and turned my heat on.

I haven't been going heatless for any practical reason, though electric bill savings and being green are both nice little byproducts. My refusal to turn on my heat was nothing but a pointless and completely arbitrary act of defiance towards Mother Nature.

When the winds first started blowing and the days started getting chillier and the nights started getting longer, I laughed. C'mon, Weather! Don't you know who you're dealing with?, I thought. You clearly have not seen my sweater shelves or my accessory wall. I am a knitter. I keep myself warm FOR FUN.

Then it got a little colder, but I still wasn't fazed. I simply threw a blanket over my toes and made myself some tea-- and a french press cozy to keep it extra warm. Silly Nature, I haven't even put on my fingerless gloves yet. You let me know when you decide to start playing for real.

It went roughly like that for the last month or so. The weather got wetter, then drier, colder, then warmer. I put on sweaters and took them off. Every once in a while, the Boyfriend and I would look at each other with that "should we?" look, then smile and say "nah! Let's just keep going!" I mentioned my heating stand-off on Facebook to find that everyone else I knew had already given up and turned up the thermostat. Nonetheless, I soldiered on.

Until today. Today it was 45 degrees and dropping and when I woke up this morning, my knees ached like an old man's when it's about to rain, my toes were chilly even with socks, and the air smelled like snow. So I finally ended this (again, pointless and completely arbitrary) battle with the elements and did what most normal people did a month and at least 10 degrees ago-- turned on the heat.

Even though I've had to concede defeat in a battle I had no chance of winning anyway, I'm quite proud of how far into Fall we made it. I'm still not sure what that says about me and my possible lack of a life.

No comments: