Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Spin to win!

I made my first balanced 2-ply yarn last night. No really, this shit is awesome. (and will soon be followed by pictures.)
In other words, my spinning class has rocked and I have rocked it right back. Compared to my fellow students, I kind of felt like I was cheating. In fact, when it came time to discuss our experience spinning at home and do our show-and-tell, I wanted to crawl under my chair.
Having spent the last year occasionally playing with a drop spindle, I already had a lot of practice at the drafting part (ie, the kind of tricky part.) So I had a bit less trouble with some of the basics and got to use the class to adapt my skills to a wheel. Consequently, I tiny bit more to show for my work. And if there's one thing I don't like, it's a show-off. Luckily, the ladies in the class were very sweet and wanted to see what I'd come up with.

Because we had to postpone the second session, I've had two extra weeks to play with the shop wheel I was using and spent my time doing experiments. I spun some merino and merino/silk blends to test out the difference between different fibers, tried to my first attempt at plying the merino and silk blend (it failed miserably), and made the Noro Knockoff pictured earlier.
Now I get to test out the Ashford Kiwi for another week or so, which is awesome since I was looking at buying one. However, I just found a gorgeous Majacraft that I might actually be able to afford!
For now, it's all about plaing with a double treadle. I plan to spin more silk.

No comments: